really good game.
Swords, Shields 'n' Dice
This is my submission for the GMTK Game Jam 2022: a dice builder with some roguelike elements. Enjoy!
How to play
The game is played in turns. The turns follow this structure:
- The enemy rolls their dice
- You roll your dice
- The dice shown take effect
It's recommended you just give the game a spin. The interface may appear a bit daunting, but you'll probably figure out much of the game within a minute or two. There's also a help menu which briefly explains the core concepts of the game. If you're still left with questions, you can always come back and read the next bit (which will be easier to understand if you've at least seen the game).
In the third phase, both players deal damage to the other equal to the number of swords they have showing on their dice. However, each shield you have showing prevents a damage from one of the opponent's swords. Additionally, you get one energy for each lightning symbol showing on your dice.
During the second phase, you have some control over your dice. You get to choose whether you want to roll just once or want to do a second roll. For the second roll, you can pin some of your dice. Per turn, you get to pin one die. However, when you choose not to do so, the pin is saved so you can use it in a future turn.
Also during the second phase, you'll also be able to spend energy you gathered in previous turns on abilities. Abilities can be toggled on and off, and if they are on during phase 3, they will take effect along with the dice. They usually give you one or more extra swords or shields.
You move from phase 2 to phase 3 by clicking "end turn". Phase three is then executed and then the enemy plays its phase 1, getting you back to phase 2 almost immediately.
- Health normal icon, Electric icon, Shield icon, Help icon by sbed on game-icons.net (CC-BY3)
- Skull crossed bones icon by Lorc on game-icons.net (CC-BY3)
- Uncertainty icon by Lorc on game-icons.net (CC-BY3) - Modified to have everything but the question mark removed
- Two coins icon, Pin icon by Delapouite on game-icons.net (CC-BY3)
- Card exchange icon & Perspective dice 6 faces 6 icon by Delapouite on game-icons.net (CC-BY3) - Modified to be one combined icon, the exchange with the die
- Gladius icon by Skoll on game-icons.net (CC-BY3)
- Arrow icon by Freepik on Flaticon (Flaticon license)
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Fun idea and a lot to get done in 48 hours! Well done! I like that unused pins are saved. This reminds me of table top games like Star Wars Imperial Assault
Nice idea, simple and fun
This seems like a fantastic combat system, You could build some real depth into this.